ENSEA Professor Scholarship Awarded to ITR ResearcherFebruary 06 2012
Reliable communications in emergency situations can be the difference between life and death. UniSA researcher awarded scholarship to find advances.
Senior Research Fellow at UniSA's Institute for Telecommunications Research (ITR), Dr Ingmar Land has been awarded a 10 week visiting professor scholarship by Ecole Nationale Superieure de l'Electronique et de ses Application (ENSEA), France, to further his work in distributed source coding.
In February Dr Land will visit the University of Cergy-Pontoise, Paris, to work with Dr Claudio Weidmann a specialist in applied information theory for source coding and joint source-channel coding.
Dr Land says the visit will allow him to further his research currently being undertaken as part of an Australian Research Council Discovery Funded Project in the area of coding schemes for distributed data compression.
"The aim is to design, evaluate and implement efficient transmission strategies for reliable communication across cooperative wireless ad hoc networks.
"Advances in these areas will provide opportunities for emerging wireless applications that can be implemented in Australian public safety and emergency-area communications."
Director of UniSA's ITR, Professor Alex Grant said the scholarship follows in line with the ITR's commitment to collaborate with international researchers to achieve outcomes far beyond what can be achieved on our own.
"The award of an international scholarship is a prestigious achievement for not only Dr Land, but also the ITR," Professor Grant said. "Our researchers are increasingly being recognised on the world stage as leaders in their field."
Whilst in Paris, Dr Land will also attend the International Zurich Seminar in Switzerland and visit other European universities including The University of Cambridge, UK, the University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, Germany, and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College