Genetics and Genomics
Genetics is the study of single genes or groups of genes and how their traits are inherited between generations. By studying the patterns of inheritance of a particular disease trait/phenotype we are able to identify which gene, or genes, are responsible for causing the disease. Genomics is the study of the entire genome or all of the genes of an organism and has been greatly advanced by the development of new Next Generation DNA Sequencing technologies which enable us to sequence the entire genome of a person or organism very quickly and relatively cheaply. By combining Genetic and Genomics analyses we have a very powerful tool that allows us to identify the genes that cause a range of diseases.
Specialising in the studying the genetic basis of Neurological and Behavioural disorders in particular Epilepsy and its associated comorbidities and Neuromuscular disorders.
These researchers study how the genetic makeup of an individual affects his/her response to drugs. Such research involves identifying genetic markers for both treatment response as well as adverse drug reactions in various diseases. The implications of these projects will revolutionise the way doctors prescribe drugs for their patients.
We conduct; Molecular genetic analyses of Patient DNA, Whole Genome and Whole Exome Sequencing, Targeted Resequencing, Transcriptome Sequencing and associated Bioinformatics and statistical analyses of DNA sequence data, Sanger DNA Sequencing validation, High Resolution Melt Curve Analyses, Molecular Cloning and Transgenesis, Immunohistochemical analyses and Confocal Microscopy, Protein analyses.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College