Critical Appraisals - Musculoskeletal Health
|What is the evidence of resting splint in treating radial nerve injury?
Cantero-Téllez, R, Miguel, G & Cristina, L 2016, 'Effects on Upper-Limb Function with Dynamic and Static Orthosis Use for Radial Nerve Injury: A Randomized Trial', Journal of Neurological Disorders, vol. 4, no. 265, p. 2.
|For adults diagnosed with CVA, what is the effectiveness of using BIT (bilateral arm training) to improve upper limb function?
Wu, C, Chuang, L, Lin, K, et al. 2011, ‘Randomised trial of distributed constraint-induced therapy versus bilateral arm training for the rehabilitation of upper-limb motor control and function after stroke’, Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 130-139.
|What interventions are effective in reducing oedema and improving function in patients with hand swelling or oedema?
Knygsand-Roenhoej, K & Maribo, T 2011, ‘A randomized clinical controlled study comparing the effect of modified manual edema mobilization treatment with traditional edema technique in patients with a fracture of the distal radius’, Journal of Hand Therapy, vol. 24, pp. 184-194.
|What is the effectiveness of therapeutic ultrasound in improving symptoms in patients with low back pain?
Costa, L, Maher, C, Latimer, J et al. 2009, ‘Motor control exercise for chronic low back pain: a randomized controlled trial’, Physical Therapy, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 1275-1286.
|What is the impact of multidisciplinary rehbilitation compared to medical management alone?
Durmus, D, Durmaz, Y & Canturk, F 2010, ‘Effects of therapeutic ultrasound and electrical stimulation program on pain, trunk muscle strength, disability, walking performance quality of life, and depression in patients with low back pain: a randomized controlled trial’, Rheumatology International, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 901-910.
|Does hydrotherapy lead to better outcomes than land therapy in patients who underwent total knee arthroplasty?
Giaquinto, S, Ciotola, E, Dall’Armi, V & Margutti, F 2010, ‘Hydrotherapy after total hip arthroplasty: A follow-up study’, Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 50, pp. 92-95.
|What is the efficacy of pre-fabricated orthosis to treat lower limb problems such as knee pain?
Barton, CJ, Munteanu, SE, Menz, HB & Crossley, KM 2010, ‘The efficacy of foot orthoses in the treatment of individuals with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: A systematic review’, Sports Medicine, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 377-395.
iCAHE will continually update this compendium of critically appraised research publications as a resource for health services interested in implementing journal clubs within their health services.
DOHSA Librarian Contact Details
The International Centre for Allied Health Evidence aims to make iCAHE Journal Club Critically Appraised articles available for review and consideration by South Australian Department of Health employees.
In order to access the articles South Australian Department of Health (DoHSA) employees will need to contact the DoHSA Librarian:
South Australian Department of Health
Library & Information Services
Level 2 162 Grenfell Street Adelaide SA
PO Box 287 Rundle Mall Adelaide SA 5000
Phone 08 8226 6070 Fax 08 8226 6677
Department of Health, South Australia, Library website
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College