Critical Appraisals - Chronic Disease Management
|Are there any interventions to enhance access to best practice primary health care for chronic disease management, prevention and episodic care?
Comino, E, Davies, G, Krastev, Y, Haas, M, Christl, B, Furler, J, Raymont, A, & Harris, M 2012, ‘A systematic review of interventions to enhance access to best practice primary health care for chronic disease management, prevention and episodic care’, BMC Health Services Research, vol. 12, p. 415.
|How does mannitol with hypertonic saline improve outcomes of patients with cystic fibrosis?
Bilton, D, Robinson, P, Cooper, P, et al. 2011, ‘Inhaled dry powder mannitol in cystic fibrosis: an efficacy and safety study’, European Respiratory Journal, vol. 38, no. 5, pp.1071-80.
|What is the effect of resistance exercise training on older adults with type 2 diabetes?
Sigal, R, Kenny, G, Boule, N, Wells, G, Prud’homme, D, Fortier, M, Reid, R, Tulloch, H, Coyle, D, Phillips, P, Jennings, A & Jaffey, J, 2007, ‘Effects of Aerobic Training, Resistance Training, or Both on Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomised Trial’, Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 357-369.
|A randomised controlled trial of cognitive behaviour therapy andMotivational interviewing for people with type 1 diabetes mellitus with persistent sub-optimal glycaemic control: A Diabetes and Psychological Therapies (ADaPT) study
Ismail, K, Maissi E, Thomas, S, Chalder, T, Schmidt, U, Bartlett, J, Patel, A, Dickens, C, Creed, F, & Treasure, J 2010, ‘A randomised controlled trial of cognitive behaviour therapy and Motivational interviewing for people with type 1 diabetes mellitus with persistent sub-optimal glycaemic control: A Diabetes and Psychological Therapies (ADaPT) study’, Health Technology Assessment, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 1-128.
iCAHE will continually update this compendium of critically appraised research publications as a resource for health services interested in implementing journal clubs within their health services.
DOHSA Librarian Contact Details
The International Centre for Allied Health Evidence aims to make iCAHE Journal Club Critically Appraised articles available for review and consideration by South Australian Department of Health employees.
In order to access the articles South Australian Department of Health (DoHSA) employees will need to contact the DoHSA Librarian:
South Australian Department of Health
Library & Information Services
Level 2 162 Grenfell Street Adelaide SA
PO Box 287 Rundle Mall Adelaide SA 5000
Phone 08 8226 6070 Fax 08 8226 6677
Department of Health, South Australia, Library website
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College