Spread and basket option pricing
Spread options, and more generally basket options, comprise a fundamental class of derivative contracts widely used in a range of financial markets. Due to the dependence of their payoff on the dynamics of more than one underlying risky asset, the valuation of spread and basket options is fundamentally different from the valuation of other types of options. Generally no closed form formulas exist, so approximation methods are used to obtain option values. One approach is to employ numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulations, numerical integration and fast Fourier transforms. Alternatively, the price process of the spread/basket can be approximated with that of a single pseudo-asset, and then calculate the approximate price of the option using one of the closed-form formulas for the price of an option on a single underlying asset. Yet another stream of research develops analytical methods applicable to log-normal models. There is no preferred approach that is accurate, efficient and flexible enough to apply in general models. Numerical methods tend to be more accurate, but their computing times can be much longer compared to analytical approximation methods.
This research focuses on developing analytical approximations. One method for basket options is to match the first two moments of the basket with that of the pseudo-asset. In our ongoing research, we match the Laplace transform of the basket price with the Laplace transform of the price of the pseudo-asset. Another line of investigation is dedicated to deriving analytical approximations for a spread option price in the geometric Brownian motion case. A change of measure is employed to express the spread option value in terms of a related quantity based on the ratio of the underlying asset prices. Analytical approximations for the spread option price are then obtained using perturbation techniques, as well as statistical series expansion pricing methods.
J van der Hoek & MW Korolkiewicz, 'New analytic approximations for pricing spread options', in Stochastic Processes, Finance and Control. A Festschrift in Honor of Robert J. Elliott, S Cohen & K Siu (eds), World Scientific, pp. 259-284 (in press).
GHL Cheang, C Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 'On Exchange Options with Jumps',Proceedings of the Third IASTED International Conference on Financial Engineering and Applications, pp. 104 - 109, Acta Pres, 2006.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College