CERAR's research is to help reduce the negative impact on the environment and to safeguard the social, economic and physical health of our planet’s people.
CERAR is the only research centre in Australasia that focuses specifically on both environmental risk assessment and remediation (reversing or stopping environmental damage). Professionals in both of these fields are in demand and CERAR’s high quality graduates are helping to fill the employment shortfall.
We are at the forefront of environmental contamination research both nationally and internationally. Our students benefit from links with research partners including the Department of Defence, AUSAid and UNICEF.
CERAR trains postgraduate students in the areas of:
- Contamination assessment
- Human and ecological risk assessment
- Remediation/management of contaminated sites
- Development of innovative, cost-effective and sustainable remediation solutions and technologies for soil and water contamination
- Sustainable management of waste resources
Research programs are offered at Honours, Masters and PhD level. In addition, tailor-made short courses are offered to professionals needing specific vocational training in order to tackle environmental contamination issues in their jobs. CERAR also offers consultancy services to external organisations.
World Top 100 for Engineering and Technology*
The University of South Australia’s Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment has been acknowledged as a high-performing, progressive and engaging institute, earning impressive rankings for its teaching and research including:
- World top 100 for Engineering and Technology, top six in Australia and number one in South Australia in the 2013-14 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- Industry relevant research - number one in Australia for funding received from Commonwealth grants to CRCs.
- Excellence in Research Australia 2012 rated more than 86 per cent of our university’s assessed research as world standard or above, including a ranking of 4 for Engineering – a performance above world standard.
*2013-14 Times Higher Education World University Rankings