High Temperature Testing Facility
With increased interest in storing thermal energy at high temperatures for Concentrated Solar Power and other industrial processes, there is a growing need to test prototype scale systems. This facility provides the means to determine the thermal characteristics of systems requiring a high temperature heat source up to 900oC. One of only a handful of facilities globally, it was developed to provide industry and research institutions with a testing service needed to support the development of high temperature thermal energy storage but its versatile design means that it can be used for a variety of industrial processes.
The Facility is housed within a purpose built enclosure enabling safe control and observation of the test. The facility is designed to recirculate atmospheric air through the test specimen at the desired flow and temperature conditions.
Fitted with a high temperature fan and an electrical heater bank, the facility can subject the test specimen to the full range of flow and temperature conditions on a continuous basis.
Testing can be programmed to continuously charge and discharge for a specified number of cycles. This enables the measurement of charging and discharging performance as well as a means of assessing the long term stability of the system.
This facility can also be used for the testing of materials and equipment over its operating range.
Concentrated solar thermal power generators
Conventional power generators
Industries working at high temperature:
Steelworks, mining, mineral processing, glass, cement etc.
The development of this facility was funded by the Australian Solar Institute.
Fan mass flow range: 0.1 to 1 kg/s
Maximum static pressure fan: 1000 Pa
Temperature range: Ambient to 900oC
Heater capacity: 200 kW
Maximum operating condition:
0.5 kg/s at 900oC at 600 Pa
University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes Campus
Mawson Lakes SA 5095
Ph: +61 (0) 8302 5623
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College