UniSA professor secures pivotal industry roleFebruary 27 2013
University of South Australia Business School Professor Bruce Gurd has been appointed president of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM), an organisation dedicated to furthering management education, scholarship, research and practice.
Professor Gurd is the first UniSA professor to be appointed to the role and the first South Australian in more than 20 years to head the Trans-Tasman organisation.
Professor Gurd has outlined some of the priorities ANZAM will focus on this year including addressing the unique needs of members in regional and rural Australia and smaller universities that don’t have the support framework of urban universities with large business schools.
This includes increasing the uptake of virtual education and communication tools that will support management academics in remote locations.
Professor Gurd has previously worked in chartered accounting, manufacturing industry and local government and his main research interests are in performance management systems and activity based costing.
Pro Vice Chancellor and Vice President: UniSA Business School, Professor Gerry Griffin, said that Professor Gurd’s vast teaching and research experience in South Australia and abroad had placed him well to succeed in the position, adding that Professor Gurd’s appointment reflects UniSA Business School’s increased focus on attracting and developing leading business educators.
“Professor Gurd’s work in the Business School’s 5-star MBA program, an ability to engage students which has taken him around the world, and a long career in a rapidly changing sector gives him the perspective to guide the group through the challenges that the tertiary education sector will face in the coming years,” Professor Griffin said.
“Professor Gurd’s appointment is even more satisfying because it speaks to the quality of people we attract as a Business School, and the investments that we have made in taking our quality of teaching to the next level,” he said.
Professor Gurd’s predecessor at ANZAM, Professor Charmine Hartel of the University of Queensland, expressed her confidence at the new appointment.
Bruce’s experience on Boards of Directors, including chairing roles, places him well to address the priorities he has set for the coming year and navigate a course to success,” Professor Hartel said.
Media contact: Will Venn office 8302 0965 email Will.Venn@unisa.edu.au
Don't look to the Academy for enlightened thinking - UniSA Screen Studies lecturer, Dr Stuart Richards gives his v… https://t.co/tQqURk2KgO
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College