When the chemistry is right: UniSA pharmacist wins top prizeJuly 30 2018
UniSA pharmacist Dr Jacinta Johnson has been named Australia’s Early Career Pharmacist of the Year at a special awards ceremony in Sydney on Friday 27 July.
Dr Johnson, a lecturer and researcher in UniSA’s School of Pharmacy and Medical Science, was honoured at the 2018 Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) Excellence Awards.
The award nomination singled Dr Johnson out for her extensive support and mentoring of students, her volunteer work within the industry and her research.
Described as an “exceptional role model and effective communicator,” Dr Johnson has been credited with motivating students to be innovative and achieve high standards.
“Jacinta is more than just a lecturer; she is a mentor and an inspiration to her students,” says Caela Crane, President of the South Australian Pharmacy Students’ Association.
“Both in the lecture theatre and in person, Jacinta is a dynamic and powerful communicator who makes complex subjects understandable and who is very generous with her knowledge and time.
“She encourages students to challenge and ask questions to ensure a deeper understanding of pharmacy rather than just learning by rote.”
In 2017, the South Australian Pharmacy Students Association awarded Dr Johnson “Lecturer of the Year” and the Australian Journal of Pharmacy named her one of the country’s “rising stars” in the same year.
She won the SA/NT Early Career Pharmacist Award in March this year, qualifying her for the national finals held on Friday.
Media contact: Candy Gibson mobile 0434 605 142 email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't look to the Academy for enlightened thinking - UniSA Screen Studies lecturer, Dr Stuart Richards gives his v… https://t.co/tQqURk2KgO
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College