Health check-up for rural SA… well, blood pressure is up a bitNovember 05 2018
In the largest health survey ever conducted of regional South Australia, UniSA’s Department of Rural Health has found that people in the region may have a poorer state of health and wellbeing than their city compatriots.
Data from almost 4000 respondents, show that country people may have more problems with high cholesterol, poor sleep, high blood pressure and allergies.
Senior research fellow at UniSA and lead investigator for the project, Dr Matthew Leach, says the results suggest that a health gap between people living in rural and regional SA and those living in the city seems to exist.
“People on the Limestone Coast reported a poorer level of overall health and wellbeing with relatively higher rates of high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, elevated cholesterol levels, allergies and sleeping disorders than people living in metropolitan SA,” Dr Leach says.
“But it is not all doom and gloom. Overall, while they could be eating more fruits and vegetables to improve their diet, people in the Limestone Coast appear to be more likely to engage in physical activity and less likely to smoke or drink alcohol at risky levels than their metropolitan counterparts.
“Those factors help to provide some protection against chronic diseases – so that is good news.”
Dr Leach says there are relatively high rates of health care utilisation (including GPs, pharmacists, dentists, massage therapists and chiropractors) in the Limestone Coast compared with metropolitan SA.
“But despite the high level of health care use, about half of people surveyed in the Limestone Coast felt they were unable to access health care services when they felt it was needed – primarily because of distance and cost.
“What this suggests is that there is unmet health care need in the region.”
For more information about the survey results, please contact Dr Matthew Leach at email@example.com
Media contact: Michèle Nardelli mobile 0418 823 673 email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the UniSA Media Centre - Follow us on @UniSAnewsroom
RT @AusSpaceAgency: An incredible atmosphere as ESA Astronaut Mr Paolo Nespoli of the Italian Space Agency talks human space flight at a pu…
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College