Champion of renewable energy awarded Honorary Doctorate at UniSAApril 11 2018
Energy research scientist, Adjunct Associate Professor Monica Oliphant AO, will be awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of South Australia today, recognising her career contribution to environmental sustainability and to research and education in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Vice Chancellor at UniSA, Professor David Lloyd says Prof Oliphant’s contribution has been impressive both locally and globally.
“In the 1980s Monica spearheaded research at ETSA into wind power, laying the groundwork for successful wind energy innovation and investment,” Prof Lloyd says.
“In her capacity as President of the International Solar Energy Society from 2008 to 2009 and as a Board member today, she continues to spread the news around the world about the highly successful practical and experimental research projects in South Australia that are keenly focussed on renewables and sustainable living.”
In Australia Assoc Prof Oliphant has been active on major federal and state government committees including Australia’s Mandatory Renewal Energy Target Review which heralded the first rebates to householders installing solar panels.
She received an AO in the 2015 Queen’s Birthday Honours List and was named Senior South Australian of the Tear in 2016, in recognition of her research and education activities in renewable energy.
“Some people have the skills and intellect to tackle important issues but never make a commitment to making a difference. And then there is someone like Monica, who has looked at the sense and the science and made it her career passion to explore and educate about how we can live more sustainably on the planet,” Prof Lloyd says.
“We are very proud to recognise her important contribution with this award.”
Media contact: Candy Gibson mobile 0434 605 142 email email@example.com
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College