Royal Society for the Blind projects
The Royal Society for the Blind provides assistance to those who experience vision loss. The organisation provides employment services; assistance with orientation or mobility and low vision services to assist people to make the most of remaining sight.
Students are sought for a number of projects. Ideally, they will also undertake a volunteer component which may include providing assistance with driving; administration; sport or facilitating coffee and movie groups.
Project 1 : White Cane Day Campaign
White Cane Day is an international event which creates community awareness about vision impairment and mobility.
Students are asked to undertake a variety of tasks in the lead up to this event (October 15). These tasks include:
- Working with TransAdelaide to create awareness about vision imparment and mobility
- Developing a public relations campaign about mobility with a human interest focus
- Marketing the mobility services of RSB.
The project will suit marketing; commerce; public relations/communications and/or health science students.
Project 2: The Swiss Army Knife App
A student/team of students is sought to develop a mobile device app which contains useful tools for people with a vision impairment (for example, a liquid level finder or money finder).
This project will suit computer science students.
Project 3: Service evaluation
Students are sought to assist with the design and implementation of service evalution.
This project will suit social work/social science or health science students.
Georgia Nichols-Pavey and Pam Johnston
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College