Health directions and The Big Issue
The Big Issue is a social enterprise providing employment for people who are often unable to access mainstream jobs.
UniSA students have been participaing in projects which have involved visiting vendors and delivering breakfast in pitch walks, developing a street soccer and health program.
You can read more about student projects at The Big Issue on the Where Uni Meets Community Blog.
Current projects are:
Visit vendors each morning to check in, say 'hi' and deliver breakfast.
Street Soccer Program
Students are sought to assist with the coordination of The Big Issue's highly successful Street Soccer Program, which is coupled with health promotion activities.
The Big Issue health services guide
The Big Issue is seeking a team of students to develop and seek funding for a handy health services guide for vendors which canvasses areas such as emergency housing, free/cheap food and helpful agencies. This guide will be available to vendors when they come into The Big Issue to collect their magazines.
Vendor recruitment strategy
Students are sought to develop a vendor recruitment strategy to ensure more people are given an opportunity to sell and derive an income from The Big Issue.
Community Partner: Matt Steadman The Big Issue
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College