Community and citizenship - Opportunities for journalism students
Community Service Learning is where university discipline knowledge meets community need.
Students have been participating in projects for three years - running dinners for Anti-Poverty Week; working on engineering projects for Riding for the Disabled; mentoring children with special needs at Modbury Special School and lending a hand where it is needed.
In exchange, the students have been developing career-bankable skills for their CVs.
A unique opportunity exists for a duo of Journalism students to explore the potential of Community Service Learning Projects through a range of media.
It is envisaged students will:
Manage and write the Where Uni Meets Community blog
Identify, write and promote human interest stories to internal UniSA media
Work in collaboration with community partners to raise the profile of their work, as it relates to student projects
Run a seminar around using the media and news values for Community Service Learning students
Source stories around larger issues of economic and social importance.
Through this work, you will gain a unique opportunity to network with a range of government, semi-government and not-for-profit organisations, while gaining a good insight into the big picture community issues which affect us all.
This is a resume building project for the right students and participation in the project will be competitive.
If you want to make a difference to community, and you are interested in developing your skills in the areas listed above contact me directly.
Andrea Duff (MA Journalism)
Community Service Learning Projects 1 & 2
University of South Australia
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College