Communities for Families
Projects with Family Zone Ingle Farm Hub
The Family Zone Hub is part of Salisbury Communities for Children. The goal of the program is to increase the skills and confidence of young parents. Family Zone runs a number of projects which provide assistance with Centrelink; a creche; Conversation groups for people with English as a second language.
Primarily coordinated through Lutheran Community Care, Family Zone draws upon many organisations and agencies to run its projects.
It hopes to draw on the expertise of students to develop the following projects.
Project 1 - Homework Club
Students from varying disciplines are sought to establish a homework club. 95% of children using the Family Zone program have English as a Second Language and have a great need for tutoring assistance around maths, reading and other areas of academic assistance.
Students from all disciplines are welcome to join this project, and particularly students who are undertaking TESOL and/or maths.
Project 2 - Antenatal and postnatal classes and programs
Human Movement, Physiotherapy and/or students with qualifications in fitness training are sought to run fitness classes for women who have recently given birth.
Mental Health Programs
Students are sought to establish and/or facilitate a mental health program for new mums including:
A post natal depression support group
Preparing for baby workshops
Project 3 - ESL Literacy sessions
Some new arrivals to Australia have difficulty accessing English classes due to Visa restrictions.
There is an urgent need to establish an English for Adults program to both help reduce social isolation and develop work readiness.
This project would ideally suit TESOL/Education students.
Family Zone Hub
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College