Healthy Eating at the City of Tea Tree Gully
The City of Tea Tree Gully is offering students the opportunity to develop and pilot a breakfast program for chilldren aged 0 to 8 years. This project is especially suited to nutrition and psychology students, however students from all diciplines are welcome.
The program will run from 8am to 9.30am and involve children and their families who attend the local child care centre, kindergarden and local R7-school. The Breakfast Club will includes opportunities for education on healthy eating/ living and give children access to an amazing playground.
Students are asked to scope this project in collaboration with local services and not for profit agencies.
Community Cafe and Cooking Classes
Cafe 82 on Valiant runs from the Holden Hill Community Centre twice monthly. The cafe provides affordable and nutritious meals and brings local residents together in the spirit of community. Men from the local Men's Shed; local families and Holden Hill residents share a meal which is planned, budgetted prepared and served by UniSA students and volunteers at the Community Centre.
This is a much-loved and very successful community venture which reduces social isolation and brings people together.
Now the Cafe team is set also running Pop-Up Cafes and multi-cultural cooking classes through the Surrey Downs Community Centre.
Nutrition student Sarah Lin Lim with members of the Holden Hill Men's Shed
Community Development Officer
City of Tea Tree Gully
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College