The Community Service Learning Project (EDUC 4186) elective course allows you apply your university learning in a range of rewarding community projects. The course is a great way to build valuable experience for your career while giving back to community.
Depending on your program structure, you may also be able to continue your community project in Community Service Learning Project 2 (EDUC 4187).
The Community Service Learning project requires students to:
- Work with a community partner to understand their needs and those of their stakeholders
- Work in teams to solve real problems experienced by community organisations
- Become 'reflective practitioners', developing problem solving skills and personal growth as a learner and citizen.
Assessment includes a learning journal, a project proposal, presentation and a final report. You will be assessed on your ability collaborate, solve problems and engage with a diverse community.
In order to express your interest, please:
- nominate your top three project preferences
- contact Petra Nisi (Project Officer) on firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you enrol you will need to complete the following:
- a 20min online Work, Health & Safety (WHS) module 'Undertaking a Safe Placement'.
- a Department for Human Services (DHS) child related employment screening. We will initiate a screening application upon your enrolment.
Some projects (especially placements in schools) require further training in Reporting Abuse and Neglect (RAN) training. Online RAN training can be accessed by creating an account here.
You need to be available one week prior to the start of the study period for a community partner briefing and may need to attend an interview to assess suitability.
For more information - and to submit your expression of interest - please contact Petra Nisi.
Read more about projects on the course blog Where Uni Meets Community.
Animal Welfare League
Assit with research and develop education resources at the AWL.Read more
The Royal Society for the Blind
The RSB is looking for students to develop community collaborations.Read more
Digital Library Buddies
Join the Digital Library Buddies team to upskill seniors and other community members.Find out more
Red Cross Community Justice
Red Cross is seeking students to plan, implement and evaluate programs and resources.Find out more
STEM in Youth Space
Share your passion for engineering, science or IT with secondary students.Find out more
Flinders Street Baptist Church
Teach and assist with teaching of English classes (education background not required)Find out more
Communities for Families
Family Zone is a hub at Ingle Farm Primary School with programs for new mums; migrants and community.Find out more
Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME)
AIME is a mentoring program where UniSA students mentor Indigenous high school students.Discover more
Community and citizenship opportunities
Journalism students are sought to edit a blog and tell the stories of Community Projects at UniSA.Learn more
Projects at The Big Issue
The Big Issue seeks students to work with vendors on building confidence.Read more
UniSA Connect: Secondary School Workshops
Work with high school students on STEM and Career Awareness programs.Discover more
Mawson Lakes Community Garden
Our Campus is about to grow its own community garden and needs your help!Read more
This collection of projects includes mentoring, sports and a work program for students with special needs.Read more
Program directors and students are invited to put forward their own ideas for community projects.Find out more
Seeds of Affinity
Work with women with lived prison experience.Read more
Students will be working in the children’s centre implementing a nutrition program.Kura Yerlo
Students will be conducting research, assist with program implementation and organisation of events.Boarding Australia
Students from all diciplines are sought to work with small groups of Aboriginal high school students.Find out more
Digital Training at the Catalyst FoundationDiscover more
City of Charles Sturt
Assist with Community Development projects at the City of Charles SturtDiscover More
The Junction Community Centre
Provide the local community with a range of activities, workshops and classes.Find out more
Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary
An opportunity for environmental and geospatial science students.Find out more
Students are sought to assist in providing sport opportunities to foster cohesive communities.Find out more
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College