Cooperative Research Centres
The Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment is proud to support a number of Cooperative Research Centres (CRC), a Commonwealth Government initiative, bringing together researchers and research users, with an emphasis on collaboration through utilisation, commercialisation and technology transfer.
A strong education component focuses on producing graduates with skills relevant to industry needs.
Data to Decisions CRC
The University of South Australia will become the national headquarters for an $88 million Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) in big data. The Data to Decisions CRC – funded for five years by a $25 million CRC grant and $62.5 million participant contributions – is set to boost national security.
It places UniSA at the forefront of industry and academic research collaboration, with the University now leading three CRCs and partnering in 10 more. The CRC will involve researchers in areas of computer science, engineering, business and law from UniSA, the University of Adelaide, University of New South Wales, Deakin University and Carnegie Mellon University, with industry input from IT and systems integration companies, consulting companies and SMEs in collaboration with state and federal national security agencies.
CRC for Cell Therapy Manufacturing
The Cell Therapy Manufacturing CRC will bring together, under one roof, the spectrum of skills and facilities required to turn a promising cell into a viable cell therapy. The Centre’s vision is to provide new treatments and develop new materials-based manufacturing technologies to increase the accessibility, affordability and efficacy of cell therapies.
With a total of $59M in cash and in-kind resources, including a $20M grant from the Government of Australia, the Centre will develop smart material interventions to facilitate the cost-effective manufacture and rapid translation of cell therapies into clinical practice. Based at the University of South Australia’s Mawson Lakes campus, the Centre’s national and international partners include research providers, manufacturers, hospitals and charities. Underpinning this partnership is a newly established cGMP manufacturing facility at UniSA’s Mawson Lakes campus, designed to deliver cell-based therapeutics for the Centre’s first-in-man clinical trials.
Its headquarters is based at UniSA’s $50M Materials and Minerals Science Building which was opened in 2012.
For more information, visit the CRC's website.
AutoCRC delivers smarter, safer, cleaner manufacturing and vehicle technology for Australia's benefit through strategic industry-led research collaborations.
Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment
The Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment project provides cutting-edge technologies and knowledge in assessing, preventing and remediating contamination of soil, water and air.
Contact: Prof Ravi Naidu
Rail Innovation seeks to meet growing transport needs identified by the rail industry and researchers, and build on successful collaborative arrangements and approaches to ensure maximisation of adoption rates to deliver outcomes.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College