Conservation of Refugia
Gibraltar Rock in the Porongorups, Western Australia. The Porongorups are a likely refugium from changing climates.
A collaboration between the University of South Australia, Curtin University and CSIRO to investigate how refugia can be effectively and efficiently identified and protected under anthropogenic climate change.
Refugia are areas that may facilitate the persistence of species during large-scale and long-term climatic change, and are increasingly important for conservation planning. While there is an increasing number of methods to identify refugia, quantifying the potential of refugia to facilitate persistence of species (i.e., their 'capacity') remains elusive.
The aim of this project are to 1) develop a flexible framework for prioritizing future refugia based on their capacity, and to 2) apply this framework to identify the most important refugia to protect biota under changing climatic conditions. Results will contribute to the conservation of Australia’s biodiversity by identifying places providing the most protection from environmental change.
The project is led by Gunnar Keppel (School of Natural and Built Environments, University of South Australia), Karel Mokany (Land and Water Flagship, CSIRO), and Grant Wardell-Johnson (Department of Environment and Agriculture, Curtin University).
For further information please contact Gunnar Keppel
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College