Obtaining your flying license


Learn more about the steps needed to obtain your flying licence.

Class 1 Medical:

There are two types of medicals which relate to flight crew - a Class 1 and Class 2 medical. Essentially the Class 1 is required if you plan on becoming a Commercial Pilot. Consequently you are required to hold a Class 1 medical. It is true that a Class 2 medical will enable you to begin flight training – however as the class 2 is a less comprehensive medical, there is the possibility for issues to go unnoticed. 

Not all doctors can administer aviation medicals – only Designated Aviation Medical Examiners (DAMEs) are approved to do so.

There are several tests involved in the initial issue of a class 1 – however your DAME will be able to assist you with this process. Please ensure you advise them when booking your medical that it is an initial issue. Due to their complexity Class 1 medicals can take up to 8 weeks, as such arrangements should be made immediately to commence the medical.

Aviation Reference Number (ARN):

The Aviation Reference Number is a unique identifier used by Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to identify aviation businesses and personnel, including pilots. This number enables all medicals, licences and rating to be easily applied to your CASA profile.

Consequently this form is essential and must precede all other applications to CASA. Unlike the below forms there is no requirement for a member of the University to certify or endorse this form prior to submission. As such it should be completed and submitted to CASA as soon as possible. The application form can be downloaded here.

Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC):

The Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) is required by all Aviation students. To apply, please click here.

This form will require the services of a Justice of the Peace (JP) for the certification of documents and photos. Once these forms are completed in their entirety an appointment is required for documents to be stamped by the Chief Flying Instructor (CFI). For students outside of South Australia, the documents can be sent to the University once completed. They will be stamped and submitted to CASA on your behalf. It is a requirement that the checklist at the front of the form be completed prior to the meeting.

NOTE: Following receipt of the completed form, CASA can take between four to six weeks to issue the ASIC. So care should be taken.  

Graduate Diploma in Aviation 

Domestic students undertake flight training through the Graduate Diploma in Aviation. International students may undertake flight training through private flying lessons.

International students

International applicants are advised to check with their local Aviation Authority to ensure that the standards applied to the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority for civil aviation flight training and licensing to fly within Australia are recognised by the local Aviation Authority as being equivalent to local licensing requirements.

Areas of study and research

+ Click to minimise