We are a world-leader in teaching and research, boasting high standards of academic excellence in engineering and technology. Despite being a young university, under 50 years old, the University and our Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment have received a range of accolades for outstanding education, student and graduate satisfaction, and world-class research.
SA’s No.1 for Engineering in research ERA 2015 *
Australia’s future relies on research impact; turning ideas into successful products. At UniSA we search for new ideas and products to solve key challenges in areas of national and international significance.
In 2015, the Australian Research Council, the body responsible for administering Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) recognised the following research areas in our division at world-class standard or above:
- Applied Mathematics
- Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Civil Engineering
- Distributed Computing
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Science and Management
- Information Systems
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Physical Chemistry (including structural)
- Resources Engineering
- Extractive Metallurgy.
*The only university in SA to have all of its assessed Engineering research rated well above world class, ranked 5 in Engineering in both the 2-digit and 4-digit FOR codes according to Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) 2015.
Number 1 in SA for graduate employment in IT*
*Ranked highest in SA for graduate outcomes in IT and Computing. QILT: Australian Graduate Survey - Graduate Destinations 2012 to 2014 Full-time Employment Indicator.
Top 50 Under 50
The 2015 University Rankings rated the University of South Australia among the Top 50 university's under the age of 50.
Five-star rating for Built Environment & Civil Engineering programs*
*QS Top Universities 2015
Excellence in Research
As a testament to the quality of our research, our division’s disciplines were rated as world-class or above in the 2012 Excellence in Research for Australia assessment. We excelled in:
• Chemical sciences, including physical chemistry;
• Engineering, including electrical and electronic engineering; mechanical, materials and civil engineering; resources engineering; and extractive metallurgy;
• Mathematical sciences, including applied and pure mathematics;
• Environmental sciences;
• Information computing sciences, including artificial intelligence and image processing, distributed computing and information systems;
the 2013 Graduate Destination Survey found that 91% of the University of South Australia's graduates go on to full-time work are employed in a professional occupation within four months of completing their degree.
MyUniversity 2013 rated the University of South Australia as Number 1 in Australia for Student Satisfaction in Civil Engineering.