We are a world-leader in teaching and research, boasting high standards of academic excellence in engineering and technology. Despite being a young university, under 50 years old, the University and our Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment have received a range of accolades for outstanding education, student and graduate satisfaction, and world-class research.
SA’s No.1 for Engineering in research ERA 2015 *
Australia’s future relies on research impact; turning ideas into successful products. At UniSA we search for new ideas and products to solve key challenges in areas of national and international significance.
In 2015, the Australian Research Council, the body responsible for administering Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) recognised the following research areas in our division at world-class standard or above:
- Applied Mathematics
- Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Civil Engineering
- Distributed Computing
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Science and Management
- Information Systems
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Physical Chemistry (including structural)
- Resources Engineering
- Extractive Metallurgy.
*The only university in SA to have all of its assessed Engineering research rated well above world class, ranked 5 in Engineering in both the 2-digit and 4-digit FOR codes according to Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) 2015.
Ranked in the Top 50 Under 50
The University of South Australia is ranked in the Top 50 under 50 in both QS and THE World Rankings. Ranked 26 in QS Top 50 Universities Aged Under 50 2017 and Ranked 32 in THE Top Under 50 2017.
Top 10 in Australia
Ranked 9th, 2019 THE World University Rankings.
NO. 1 in SA for teaching quality in Science and Mathematics
QILT: Course Experience Questionnaire 2017. Public SA-founded universities only.
NO. 1 in SA for Graduate Careers in Architecture and Building
QILT: Graduate Destinations Survery 2015 and Graduate Outcomes Survey 2016-17 – Full-time Employment Indication. Public SA-founded universities only.
SA’S NO.1 in SA for Graduate Careers
QILT: Graduate Destinations Survey 2015 and Graduate Outcomes Survey 2016-17 – Full-time Employment Indicator. Public SA-founded universities only.
NO. 1 in SA for Graduate Satisfaction
QILT: Course Experience Questionnaire 2016-17. Public SA-founded universities only.
97% of our Assessed Research rated at or above world standard
2015 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College