Bachelor of Medical Science
Meet Chelsea Thomas
UniSA Medical Science graduate and Research Assistant in the Sansom Institute for Health Research at UniSA
I have always had a passion for science and medicine and this degree covered those areas."
Chelsea is a Research Assistant within UniSA’s Sansom Institute for Health Research, working on projects which directly help the medical community and cancer patients.
“One of the main reasons I wanted to get into scientific research, was for the potential to make a difference and to add knowledge to the scientific community as a whole. My daily tasks include providing support to researchers in the laboratory by running experiments for projects, and researching scientific papers to help advance knowledge or design research protocols.
“Seeing the workings of a real laboratory has strengthened my career decision to remain in research. The feeling of knowing that you are helping add to scientific knowledge and potentially finding solutions to scientific problems is incredibly rewarding.”
Chelsea always had a passion for science and medicine, and found this degree covered those areas.
“Given my interests were heavily based around cancer biology and laboratory research, I ensured I chose electives in these areas that were available in my degree. It also provided placement opportunities as well as pathways to access a research career or continue further study such as honours or a PhD.”
“My placement at the Centre for Cancer Biology involved putting my molecular biology laboratory skills I had learnt into practice. The experience was fantastic and I completed a small project, as well as the kind of scientific writing that you would do in employed research, including a research proposal, and a research manuscript.”
Chelsea also chose UniSA because of its focus on graduate outcomes.
“UniSA has a great track record of graduates transitioning to employment after their degree, and as a mature age student this was an important for me given that I’d ended one career to take on a challenge in a new career.”
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College