The evolution of pharmacy and medical science practice, education and research in South Australia has been enriched by the contribution of many inspiring and altruistic individuals and organisations.
The School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences recognises the input of a number of these leaders (detailed below) through the names of buildings, prizes and awards.
John Alexander Voules Brown
John Alexander Voules Brown was a member of the School of Mines and Industries council from
1913 – 1940. The John Alexander Voules Brown prizes were established thanks to a bequest made by Brown’s daughter, Dorothy Seary, with the inaugural prize awarded in 1956.
Burden Pty Ltd
The SA Pharmacists Corporation - Burden Pty Ltd Prize was named after the first extended-hours pharmacy in Adelaide. The SAPC was a pharmacists’ cooperative created in 1958 (it converted to a corporation in 1999). Shortly after its establishment, the cooperative purchased Burden Pty Ltd, a King William Street pharmacy that had been operating since the beginning of the 20th century. Under the SAPC the pharmacy extended its hours so it was open from 8am until midnight, providing an invaluable public service at a time when other pharmacies closed at 5pm. Many of the pharmacists who worked there in the 1960s and ‘70s went on to illustrious careers, including UniSA’s Emeritus Professor Lloyd Sansom and orthopaedic surgeon Dr Graham Lewis.
The Pharmaceutical Society Howard Flaherty Prize was established to remember Flaherty, a prominent retail pharmacist in South Australia in the 1950s and ‘60s. Flaherty served in World War 2 and obtained his pharmacy qualification after returning from the war. After developing his professional reputation in pharmacy, Flaherty went on to be instrumental in founding homes for the elderly.
The Martin Hansen Award is named after Martin Eric Hansen, a leading figure in laboratory medicine in South Australia. He began his career as a temporary junior laboratory assistant in 1937 and by 1959 was the inaugural president of the South Australian branch of what now is known as AIMS (Australian Institute of Medical Scientists). Hansen was first appointed laboratory manager of the IMVS (Institute for Medical and Veterinary Science) in 1967. The cornerstone of his professional career at the IMVS was his post as Chief Technologist in the Division of Histopathology, which he held for 20 years. One of his most significant contributions to education was his involvement in converting technical laboratory medicine training programs to Diploma status at UniSA’s antecedent institution, the South Australian Institute of Technology.
Dr Basil Hetzel
Former UniSA Chancellor Dr Basil Hetzel AC is a physician, educator and medical researcher renowned for his international work on eliminating iodine deficiency as a cause of brain damage. Born in London in 1922, Dr Hetzel has spent most of his life in Adelaide but his vision and influence stretched far beyond state and national boundaries. In the 1960s he led research in Papua New Guinea that identified the association between iodine deficiency and significant brain damage in unborn children. The global prevention of this problem became his major life work. Dr Hetzel has made a tremendous contribution to public health in Australia and worldwide, working closely with the World Health Organisation, UNICEF and other international agencies. UniSA’s Hetzel building was opened at City East campus in 2005, providing students and staff with access to a range of state-of-the-art laboratory and teaching facilities.
Eddie Walter Hughes was one of the longest-serving staff members of the South Australian School of Mines and Industries. He joined the School of Mines as a cadet in 1912 and rose to become deputy head of metallurgy and chemistry, retiring from the South Australian Institute of Technology in 1962. The EW Hughes Memorial Medal was established in 1987 in recognition of Hughes’ outstanding service to SAIT and the former School of Mines’ graduates association.
The Pharmaceutical Society Lipsham Memorial Prize was established in recognition of Edward (“Ted”) Francis Lipsham, a leading figure in pharmacy education in South Australia during the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s. Lipsham started working as a pharmacist while still an apprentice in Europe in World War 1, where he was one of the first to prepare Eusol to disinfect battle wounds. After the war he ran a community pharmacy in Brighton (Adelaide) and lectured. Lipsham helped establish the first formal university education for pharmacists in South Australia in his role as head of pharmacy at the University of Adelaide (1933-1958). He is remembered as a shrewd, enigmatic and eccentric figure, and a champion of practical, apprenticeship-based pharmacy training.
The Royal Australian Chemical Institute (SA Branch) Analytical Chemistry Group - Roy Marlow Award was named after Marlow, a prominent South Australian analytical chemist. During his long career, which extended from the 1940s through to his retirement in 1977, Marlow held various senior positions including Director of the State Chemistry Laboratory and Chief Inspector of Explosives.
Felicity Mayfield (1958-2001)
The Felicity Mayfield Memorial Rural Thesis Award was established in memory of Mayfield, a UniSA pharmacy graduate who devoted most of her life to helping to improve the health of people in remote areas. After graduating with a pharmacy degree in 1980, she spent her pre-registration year and managed a pharmacy in Darwin before opening a pharmacy in Jabiru. Mayfield went on to manage a pharmacy in Madang, Papua New Guinea, before moving to Vanuatu to work with Australian Volunteers Abroad. She also spent time in remote Australia, Britain and then Zimbabwe where she worked for 10 years. Mayfield returned to Australia and took up a position at UniSA in 2001 before her passing later that year.
WR Odell (1946-1984)
William Russell (“Russ”) Odell was a respected hospital scientist and cancer researcher in South Australia during the 1970s and ‘80s. Born in South Africa, he came to Adelaide when he was 12 and spent his early adult years studying blood sciences and working for the Red Cross. He became a senior hospital scientist at the Flinders Medical Centre, where he set up a blood bank and became involved in cancer research. He was known for his ability to get along with all kinds of people, and besides his lifelong interest in science, also enjoyed art, running and weightlifting. Sadly, his life was cut short at the age of 37 when he died of a brain tumour. The WR Odell award was established in 1985.
UniSA’s Reid Building and the FW Reid Memorial Medal were named in memory of Frederick William Reid, a leading figure in technical education in South Australia. Reid started studying at the SA School of Mines and Industries in 1887, where he was an outstanding student in mining, metallurgy and mechanical engineering before going on to work in technical education in Tasmania and New Zealand. He returned to the School of Mines in 1911 and became principal in 1914, a role he held for 26 years, earning respect and admiration for his wise planning and able administration. Reid passed away unexpectedly after collapsing at the opening of the Bonython Jubilee Building on 20 May 1940.
Sir Eric Scott
Sir Eric Scott was a colourful character and leading light in Australian pharmacy. A former amateur heavyweight boxing champion of Victoria and league footballer, he was at different times a jackeroo, pearl diver, cane cutter and successful businessman, apart from his extensive work in pharmacy. Sir Eric helped found the Pharmacy Guild of Australia, where he was president for 24 years from 1947.
The information on this page was compiled with the assistance of Neil Quintrell, Judy Edwards, Alan Russell, Lloyd Samson, Richard Clampett and Dennis Mulchay and with reference to The People’s University (Aeuckens, 1989). The School welcomes any historical information, anecdotes or photographs that readers may have to share – please email: email@example.com