Mathematical Game of SET
For: Year 10, 11 students
The Game of SET was created by Marsha Jean Falco, a Population Geneticist in 1974 and was released as a popular card game in 1990. The game requires players to identify patterns in traits displayed on a set of cards, and create SETs of three cards that meet defined criteria.
This card game has many applications within the mathematics classroom, and this program will focus on two concepts – the multiplication principle and the comparison of permutations and combinations. To reinforce these concepts, simple everyday problems will be analysed and solved using these focus areas.
What will students do?
Students will explore mathematical concepts while learning how to play the card game The Game of SET. They will use the multiplication principle to solve simple problems, will learn the history behind The Game of SET, and explore the concepts of permutations and combinations. After playing The Game of SET, students will analyse SETs that were found, and discuss strategies for finding SETs.
- As this program is a practical activity and may be run in a laboratory, students and accompanying adults will be required to wear closed in shoes and appropriate dress.
- Teachers will receive confirmation of booking and pre-visit information.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College