For: Year 12 Physics and Chemistry students interested in tertiary study at the University of South Australia
The Year 12 Science Booster is a two day program designed to enhance the learning of Year 12 Physics and Chemistry students.
In 2018, the Science Booster will be held on Thursday 19 July and Friday 20 July.
The Science Booster aims to:
- motivate and support students
- explore study pathways
- reinforce Year 12 Physics and Chemistry studies through experiential learning
The specially tailored program for students considering UniSA as an option for university includes laboratory sessions based on summative assessments, learning and study methods, exam preparation, and career insight sessions. All activities are tailored to review and support curriculum in Stage 2 SACE subjects.
Students can choose physics and/or chemistry sessions and have the opportunity to work closely with academic staff who are experts in the fields of physics and chemistry. They also have access to specialist equipment and research facilities.
What will students do?
The full timetable for the program can be seen below. (Session details and timetable changes may occur without notice.)
Students may choose to undertake only Physics activities for each of the 2 days, only Chemistry activities for each of the 2 days, or a combination of both Physics and Chemistry activities.
Thursday 19 July 2018
Friday 20 July 2018
|8.45 – 9.00||Registration||9.15 – 9.30||Registration|
|9.00 – 9.30||Official Welcome
(including Icebreaker/Get To Know You activity)
|9.30 – 11.10||Physics: Laboratory Practical Time, Motion and Magnets
Lasers: Light and Energy
Chemistry: Laboratory Preparation Workshop
|9.30 – 11.10||Physics: Laboratory Practical
Time, Motion and Magnets
Lasers: Light and Energy
Chemistry: Laboratory Practical
|11.10 - 11.30||Morning Tea|
|11.10 – 11.30||Morning Tea||11.30 – 12.30||Extended Response Writing for Science Exams - Chemistry
|11.30 – 12.30||Extended Response Writing for Science Exams - Physics
|12.30 – 1.00||Study Skills
Life at University Panel
|12.30 – 1.00||Lunch||1.00 – 1.30||Lunch|
|1.00 – 2.45||Physics: Workshop
Chemistry: Laboratory Practical Esterification (continuation)
|1.30 – 3.10||Physics: Laboratory Practical
Lab Challenge – Measuring Gravity
Chemistry: Laboratory Practical Thermodynamics/Iodine Clock
|2.45 – 4.00||Quiz||3.10 – 3.40||Evaluation and Prizes|
NB: Session details and timetable changes may occur without notice.
- This program is for students who are considering tertiary study at UniSA.
- As this program is a practical activity, students will be required to wear closed in shoes and appropriate dress.
- Registrations close on Friday 8 June. (Note: the program may be fully booked before this date. We advise you to book early to ensure your students don’t miss out.)
- Each school can nominate a maximum of 5 students to attend the Science Booster.
- The program can only accommodate a maximum overall total of 70 students which are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Year 12 students may self-nominate to attend.
- Students will receive confirmation of booking and pre-visit information via mail.
- Students will be required to complete and return a registration form via mail before the program commences (included with the pre-visit information).
- Duty of care for students will be carried by UniSA Connect staff.
Thank you for your interest, but this workshop is fully booked for 2018
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College