The ambition of the Magill Education Precinct to create a community of learners across the lifespan requires consideration of child safety matters. This brief acknowledges the complexity of such an ambition, notes potential risks, and presents strategies to address these.
The key question which frames this child protection brief is: How might we secure the safety of children and young adults in the Magill Education Precinct in terms of legal responsibilities, design and best practice?
Classroom Observation and Data Collection
Central to the debate surrounding classroom observation and research in technology rich Smart Classrooms on the Magill Education Precinct, are the following questions:
- What is the purpose/s of the Classroom?
- How do we envisage use of the technology rich Smart Classroom?
- Who will have access to the classrooms?
- How often will the classrooms be used and by what arrangement?
How might we observe the participants in Smart Classrooms? With or without one-way mirror windows onto their worlds? Participant versus non-participant: that is rather than observe at a distance, couldn’t we just ‘experience’, as when researchers or student teachers choose to join mentors and children in the same classroom? How can a safe, supportive, collaborative, shared learning space be created? There are technological questions about the role of technology, both within the classroom setting as a teaching and learning tool and as a means of data collection.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College