Field education is a significant component of the educational development of all future human service professionals. It represents up to twenty-five per cent of undergraduate study and is critical to integrating academic understanding with practice decisions and activity.
Field education courses are undertaken:
- In the third and fourth year of the Bachelor of Social Work program (or the fourth and fifth year for the double degree students)
- In the last year of the Bachelor of Social Science (Human Services).
- As part of some postgraduate programs.
Students are placed in a range of programs which focus upon particular areas of practice, policy or research; for example, practice in Indigenous contexts, community health, cultural diversity, domestic violence, mental health, community development, and family services.
Field Education courses
|Undergraduate programs||Field Education courses
|Bachelor of Social Work
||Social Work Field Education 1
Social Work Field Education 2
|Important note: Prerequisites for enrolment into Field Education courses, students must complete all first and second year courses and Social Work and Reflective Practice
|Bachelor of Social Sciences (Human Services)||Human Service Field Placement A
Human Service Field Placement B
|Postgraduate programs||Field Education courses
|Master of Social Work||Social Work Practicum 1
Social Work Practicum 2
The School has an international field education program where you can undertake your placement overseas. Placements are available in both developed and developing regions of the world. We are committed to opening up opportunities for field education where we have well established international links. At present we have formal agreements with India and the Faculty of Social Work at the University of Calgary, Canada.
Alternatively, if you are an overseas social work student wishing to seek a placement in Adelaide or another part of Australia, please contact the School. Our social work program is accredited by the Australian Association of Social Workers. A semester of study in South Australia is well worth the investment in your professional and personal development.
Senior Placement Officer
Social Work and Human Services
(08) 8302 4188
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College