Discourse December 2016
As the academic year comes to an end, for most students, a collective sigh of relief can be heard. To those of you who have sat exams, we wish you well. As do we congratulate those of you who may have completed your degree program at UniSA, all the best for your future endeavours. To those students returning to study in 2017, we welcome you back. Remember to check if your access plan will still be valid in 2017. If not and your condition continues to impact upon your studies, make a time to see a Disability Adviser early in the year to discuss your options.
Enjoy the holiday break and best wishes from the Disability Services Team.
An innovative new legal assistance video has been made to assist South Australians with a disability. The video is a national first because it provides legal assistance information to a wide range of people including those with impaired hearing, vision or cognitive processes.
In the film, the legal assistance information is delivered verbally, in Auslan and with subtitles. Notably, the film caters to people with cognitive impairment who have difficulty processing large amounts of visual information. The film is shot simply in black-and-white, edited at a very measured pace, and presents information clearly with minimal distractions.
You can hire or purchase texts books through Zookal. Check out the website - https://www.zookal.com/
In August PACE collaborated with headspace Woodville to deliver the Stress Less program. Stress Less is a four session program which helps young people understand and manage anxiety. The group was well attended and feedback from participants was positive.
In November PACE started a Panic and Anxiety Recovery Program in Mount Barker. The program, which is delivered over four fortnightly sessions at the Mount Barker Health Service, will provide participants with an opportunity to share their experiences and learn strategies to help them manage anxiety.
All of the Recovery Support Groups for Panic and Anxiety, OCD, Eating Disorders and Hoarding will continue in 2017. Information about the groups will be available on the Centacare website once dates for the groups have been finalized.
Company AT will be holding auditions in February next year. The Auditions will be for the Company AT Performance Ensemble that currently has around five open spots.
If you are over 18, on the Autism Spectrum and have a talent and passion for performing then we'd love to hear from you! To register interest, please contact Artistic Director Julian Jaensch at email@example.com - We look forward to hearing from all Autistic Artists!
Company AT is part of Tutti Arts http://tutti.org.au/
The Julia Farr Youth Peer Support Network is for young adults living with disability aged between 18 and 35. The group meets once a month to share knowledge, experiences and practical tips with each other.
Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of every month at JFA Purple Orange 104 Greenhill Rd, Unley 5061 and there is no cost to attend. Dinner is provided. Please note a support worker is available to assist attendees at each meeting.
Come along to our Peer Support Network Meetings to meet other young adults living with disability.
For more information please contact Letitia on 8373 8325 or firstname.lastname@example.org or register here.
The Disability Services team are seeking expressions of interest from second, third or fourth year students who have experience studying at University with disability and are interested in being employed as Transition Assistants in our STAR: Transition Assistant program. The STAR Program supports students who have a disability, mental health or medical condition which impacts on their transition to university. Transition Assistants meet with a commencing first year student on a regular basis (approximately 1 hour per week) in their first few weeks of study, to support their successful transition into the university environment. This may involve supporting students in the areas of campus orientation, self-advocacy and disclosure, online support, building social and academic networks, and study routine and planning.
Transition Assistants will need to be available for a half day training session to be held from 1pm – 5pm on Wednesday 15th February 2017.
Your expression of interest should be no longer than 500 words, and will need to include:
- Your name, email, student ID and home campus.
- Why you are interested in the role.
- A brief description of the skills and qualities you will bring to this role (including oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, organisational and time management skills).
- Any experience you have had working with people from diverse backgrounds.
Limited spaces are available and successful applicants will be invited to attend the training session in February 2017. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application.
Please email your expression of interest to email@example.com .
Applications close 5pm, Friday 20th January 2017.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College