This wing occupies a section of the Centenary Building at City East campus. The building was opened in 1989 and the wing was generously donated to the Library by the School of Nursing, for the benefit of staff and students of the University.
Doris Taylor (1901-1968) was wheelchair bound from the age of twelve as the result of a childhood accident, but went on to become the founder of the Meals on Wheels Service, begun at Port Adelaide in 1953. Despite also suffering from severe rheumatoid arthritis, Doris managed to live independently at home throughout her life, and was acutely aware of the assistance needed by elderly, ill and disadvantaged people in their daily lives. She campaigned for improved social services for these groups as well as working tirelessly to promote and expand Meals on Wheels, which became a model for other states and countries to follow. In 1959 she was awarded an MBE in recognition of her achievements.
The Doris Taylor memorial collection of books on community care, especially for the elderly, was begun in 1990 with a grant from Meals on Wheels to the School of Social Work of the former South Australian Institute of Technology. The funds were added to through donation with the goal that it should become a collection of excellence by 1995. The Doris Taylor collection was dispersed some years later with the move of the School of Social Work and Social Policy to the Magill Campus.
The Doris Taylor wing which now houses health information and resources, remains an integral part of the David Murray Library to which it is linked by a corridor.