We negotiate every day. We negotiate with potential employers, supervisors, staff, departmental colleagues, service providers, parents, spouses, and even our children. What price we want to pay; what salary we would like; which work assignment we want, how to divide up a team task to who will do the dishes and pick up the kids – are all examples of negotiations. Yet, although people negotiate all the time, most know very little about the strategy and psychology of effective negotiations. Why do we sometimes get our way whereas other times we walk away feeling frustrated by our inability to obtain the agreement we desire?
This program is essential for anyone who navigates business complexities on a daily basis. This includes managers at every level, as well people who work for government and not for profit agencies.
Monday 27 November - Wednesday 29 November 2017.
Course delivery will be at the UniSA Business School City West Campus. Adelaide.
Day 1: Key Strategies for Two-Part Negotiations
Single-Issue Two Party Negotiations
- Identifying Objectives and Goals in Negotiations.
- Traps to avoid – Winner’s curse and Settling for too little.
- Strategies for making offers
- How to deal with concessions in negotiations
Strategic Planning for Negotiations
Multi-Issue Two Party Negotiations
- Understanding the Variety of Issues in Negotiations: Distributive, Integrative and Compatible Issues
- How to make Package Deals and Trade in multi-issue offers?
- How to make decisions on multi-issue negotiation in order to “Expand the value/pie on the table”? Identifying the Win- Win potential!
- How to persuade and Influence others to while communicating and gathering information?
- Framing of Issues and trade-offs
DAY 2: Fundamental Strategies for Multi-Party, Multi-Issue Negotiations
Advanced Multi-Issue, Multi-Party Negotiations
- Dealing with Multiple Stakeholders
- Coalition Building Strategies
- Creating a Win-Win solution without giving up your share of the pie
Managing Power, Communication and Information in Negotiations
- How to discuss issues
- How to manage interpersonal and procedural complexity
- Power: Where does power come in negotiations?
Managing Emotions in Negotiations
- Emotional Expression - what works!
- Emotional Intelligence: How to build it
- Developing your own emotional thermometer
Day 3: Managing Difficult Conversation and Resolving Conflicts at Work
- Managing Irrational and Emotional Negotiators
- Negotiating Disputes and conflicts
- Building Trust in Negotiations
- Role of Power in Negotiations
- Personal Negotiation Styles: Identifying the best strategies for yourself
- How to Strategically Plan for Negotiations?
- How to improve your influence and effectiveness in persuasion during negotiations?
- Understanding and Rethinking your Negotiation Approach: How to move from a win-lose adversarial mindset to a collaborative yet practically beneficial Win-Win approach?
- Learning how to negotiate in a Group- Develop powerful strategies to gather and utilize data and information in face-to-face, multi-party, and multi-issue negotiations
- The Art and Science of Managing communication dynamics in group – who should be at the table? What is the best way to gather support and cooperation?
- Learning how to manage social networks and coalitions to develop power in negotiations
- Managing emotions of self and others to enhance negotiation outcomes?
- Learn how to handle difficult conversations in negotiations where emotions fly high and there is long term relationship at stake
- Understand the sources of power in negotiation contexts and how best to use it for win-win situations
- Identify negotiation strategies for handling emotional dispute negotiations which are typically different from buyer-seller negotiations
- Recognise the role of trust building in negotiations
- Develop the emotional intelligence required to manage difficult, emotionally tough negotiation situations
- Expand your repertoire of Negotiation strategies and how it relates to conflict resolution
- Learn how to prevent escalation of conflict in negotiations
- Learn how to build trustworthiness for oneself and build trust in negotiating relationships
- Develop leaders and teams for better negotiation planning
- Anticipating Negotiation Obstacles and Solutions for both current and future deal making
- Develop more cooperation both within and between departments through the use of effective cooperation building negotiation strategies
- Improve stakeholder management through constructive negotiations of power and influence
- Stronger workplace relationships between employees; between client-service providers
- Conflict resolution at work.
Advanced Negotiation + Managing Difficult Conversations – 3 day course
$2,175 The course is GST exempt.
Early Bird Discount $2,000 if booking by COB Friday 10 November.
UniSA Alumni $1,955
Group Fee (3 or more participants) $1,800 per participant
Advanced Negotiation 2 Day course
$1,450 The course is GST exempt.
Early Bird Discount $1,350 if booking by COB Friday 10 November.
UniSA Alumni $1,300
Group Fee (3 or more participants) $1,200 per participant
- Study notes and materials
- Tea, Coffee, Lunch and free Wi-Fi internet access.
- Certificate of Completion
The University of South Australia reserves the right to cancel this program at any time and issue refunds. In the event that an attendee cannot attend, a substitute may attend in their place. No refunds will be issued unless 21 days notice is given in writing prior to the date of the planned program.
Dr Ruchi Sinha
Dr Sinha has a strong background in both Psychology and Organisational Behaviour. She has held academic positions in India and Australia and is highly regarded as an expert in the area of Negotiation and Conflict Management and Leading teams.
Dr. Sinha has been teaching Negotiation Skills and Leadership Development to MBA students and is rated as a highly effective and inspirational teacher. Dr. Sinha’s research interests and recent publications are in the areas of talent management approaches (specifically selection), work-life balance, power and influence at the workplace and managing conflict and communication in teams at the workplace.
Dr Sinha is a Certified ROI (Return on Investment) Professional by ROI Institute, Inc. and is an expert on Training Evaluation and Development. She is an active member of the Academy of Management and the International Academy of Conflict Management.
In her professional career, Dr Sinha has published several book chapters and research papers in top tier journals. She has made over thirty presentations at top tier international conferences and serves as reviewer for top journals.
Her qualifications include:
- PhD, Michigan State University (Organisational Psychology)
- Masters, Michigan State University (Organisational Psychology)
- BA (Hons) (First Class), Psychology, Delhi University
You will learn-by-doing. To explore your strengths and shortcomings as a negotiator. Each day of the workshop will include 1-2 experiential negotiation role-plays, where you can use your habitual negotiation skills and strategies in a low-risk environment and then receive concrete feedback and guidance on key principles and strategies to achieve win-win solutions. The workshop will provide both the scientific theory and principal behind the strategies as well as the practical steps in implementing the strategies during negotiations.
Our staff have both industry and academic backgrounds. This mix of experience assists us in understanding industry issues so that we can develop relevant programs to meet the strategic goals of your organisation now and in future.
The facilitators emphasise:
- Applied learning projects relevant to the organisation and participants, using real examples as an impetus for change within organisations.
- The non-threatening academic environment assisting participants to undertake study, which benefits the organisation in regards to employee outcomes and the participants in relation to future career goals.
- The selection of professional educators, who will deliver contemporary brand growth theory, integrated with practical application relevant to the industry context.
To find out more about our Advanced Negotiation Skills course, complete our online inquiry form or alternatively, please contact Sandra Walker on (08) 8302 0801.