Life on Mars
Carmel Johnston and
Access YouTube clip HERE
Carmel Johnston served as the Crew Commander of the HI-SEAS - 366 Day Simulated Mars Mission – run by the University Of Hawaii and funded by NASA. The Mission required herself and five other people to live in complete isolation for an entire year.
With a Masters of Science in Land Resources and Environmental Sciences from Montana State University, she was able to apply her passion for science and sustainable living to growing fresh vegetable for the crew. Now that she is out of the dome, she is taking full advantage of being able to run, hike, swim, and play outside in her hometown in Montana.
Physicist, Explosives Engineer, Soldier, Comedian, Astronaut Candidate – one thing Josh Richards can never be accused of is being boring. In the last decade he’s picked up booby traps with the Australian Army, slogged through mud with British Commandos, been science adviser to the richest artist in the world, and performed comedy wearing a giant koala suit to confused audiences around the world.
Josh found his true calling in 2012 when he discovered the Mars One project.
Selected from over 200,000 applicants, he's currently one of 100 astronaut candidates short-listed to leave Earth forever to colonise Mars in 2031.
Angela Catterns is a well-known and much admired Australian media personality and radio presenter. Best known for her work on Australian radio, Angela has presented Mornings on Triple J, the National Evening Show on ABC Local Radio, and Breakfast on 702 ABC Sydney.
Angela currently freelances as an interviewer and presenter, voice-over artist, and MC. She regularly teams up with Australian humourist and broadcaster Wendy Harmer to create podcasts. Angela is also an independent podcast producer, short story and feature article writer, and is currently collating a collection of memoirs from her career.
Presented by The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre in arrangement with WOMADelaide festival’s Planet Talks Program
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College