In-conversation with oceanographer Sylvia A. Earle and eco-hero Simran Sethi
Wednesday 11 March 2015
Facilitated by: Dr Paul Willis, Director, RiAus
Following their involvement in WOMADelaide’s Planet Talks series, hear these two environmental champions discuss their passion for and dedication to a sustainable world. Learn more about the University of South Australia's involvement in the Planet Talks series.
Sylvia A. Earle
Oceanographer Sylvia A. Earle is Explorer in Residence at the National Geographic Society, Founder of Mission Blue/Sylvia Earle Alliance, Founder of Deep Ocean Exploration and Research (DOER), author of more than 200 publications, leader of more than 100 expeditions with 7000 hours underwater. She has a PhD from Duke University, with expertise concerning of marine ecosystems, ocean policy and undersea technologies.
Named "the environmental messenger" by Vanity Fair & a top ten eco-hero of the planet by the UK's Independent, Simran Sethi is a journalist and educator focused on environmentalism, sustainability & social change. She is writing a book on the loss of biodiversity in food, is a visiting scholar at the Cocoa Research Centre in Trinidad, and an associate at the University of Melbourne's Sustainable Society Institute.
Photo credit: Amanda Friedman
Dr Paul Willis
Dr Paul Willis, RiAus Director, is a respected leader in the science community. He has a background in vertebrate palaeontology and also has an extensive career in science communication working on TV programs such as Catalyst and Quantum, as well as radio and online. He is passionate about informing, educating and exciting people about science and is keen to talk about science in a variety of public forums.
While the views presented by speakers within the Hawke Centre public program are their own and are not necessarily those of either the University of South Australia or The Hawke Centre, they are presented in the interest of open debate and discussion in the community and reflect our themes of: strengthening our democracy - valuing our diversity - and building our future.
The copying and reproduction of any transcripts within the Hawke Centre public program is strictly forbidden without prior arrangements.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College