Greece and the Eurozone Crisis
Past, Present and Perspectives for the Future
Wednesday 24 June 2015
with H.E. Mr. Haris Dafaranos, Ambassador of Greece to Australia
Podcast available HERE (mp3 format 13MB)
The lecture aims to elucidate the causes that brought on the crisis. On the one hand, the deficiencies of economic governance by the Greek State. On the other, those of the European architecture in 2009. Aspects such as the European convergence criteria: budget deficit and national debt ceilings, will be addressed, along with the dimension of over borrowing of Greece. Another crucial question is whether this crisis could have been foreseen and averted.
Other items included in the presentation:
- The importance of the European solidarity.
- The impact of imposed austerity on Greece in order to repay her debt.
- The impact of structural reforms.
- Brain drain and impoverishment of an entire society.
- Stereotypes. Finger pointing.
- The European project perspective.
- Can we be optimistic about the future?
Ambassador Haris Dafaranos will be presenting this lecture on the occasion of his official visit to South Australia.
Ambassador Dafaranos is a career diplomat. Born in Athens in 1955, he studied Law and English Literature. He joined the Hellenic Diplomatic Service in 1980. He has served in Saudi Arabia, Jerusalem, Sweden, South Africa, India, West Africa and in Australia since November 2012.
Embassy of Greece in Canberra
Presented by The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre at the University of South Australia and the Embassy of Greece in Canberra
While the views presented by speakers within the Hawke Centre public program are their own and are not necessarily those of either the University of South Australia or The Hawke Centre, they are presented in the interest of open debate and discussion in the community and reflect our themes of: strengthening our democracy - valuing our diversity - and building our future.
The copying and reproduction of any transcripts within the Hawke Centre public program is strictly forbidden without prior arrangements.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College