20th Annual Hawke Lecture
Access video HERE
The 20th Annual Hawke Lecture was delivered by The Hon Julia Gillard AC, Chair of beyondblue.
Former Prime Minister The Hon Julia Gillard AC looked back on the role The Hon Bob Hawke AC played in her own life and his enduring legacy to the nation as a leader that demonstrated both courage and a drive for consensus. Given her role as Chair of beyondblue, Ms Gillard discussed how courage and consensus are still needed now as we search for new approaches to common, debilitating conditions like anxiety and depression.
The University of South Australia awarded The Hon Julia Gillard AC with an Honorary Doctorate at this event.
The Hon Julia Gillard AC
Former Prime Minister The Hon Julia Gillard AC is Chair of beyondblue, having been a board member since December 2014. She also serves as Chair of the Global Partnership for Education, a leading organization dedicated to expanding access to quality education worldwide. Ms Gillard is a non-resident Distinguished Senior Fellow with the Center for Universal Education at the Brookings Institution in Washington and an Honorary Professor at the University of Adelaide. Ms Gillard serves as Patron of CAMFED, the John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library and the Aim for the Stars Foundation, and is also on the Board of Governors of the Committee for the Economic Development of Australia.
Presented by The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre
While the views presented by speakers within the Hawke Centre public program are their own and are not necessarily those of either the University of South Australia or The Hawke Centre, they are presented in the interest of open debate and discussion in the community and reflect our themes of: strengthening our democracy - valuing our diversity - and building our future.
The copying and reproduction of any transcripts within the Hawke Centre public program is strictly forbidden without prior arrangement.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College