Drivers for digital learning
We are living in a rapidly evolving digital world, where technology pervades almost every aspect of our lives. Our students and staff are accustomed to connecting, inquiring and discovering online, but as a sector, Australian universities are yet to fully capitalise on the potential that new digital technologies can bring to education.
There are key drivers for universities to embrace digital learning. Students now have access to more information than ever before, are increasingly mobile and globally connected, have diverse needs, and require flexibility to balance work, family and study commitments. Industry and the community seek professionals who are digital leaders, with transferrable skills and knowledge, creativity, developed networks, and the ability to engage locally and globally.
Now is the time to challenge our institutional practices and collectively embrace pedagogical models that further engage our learners in their education. We need to introduce scalable and sustainable practices that better leverage the affordances that technologies can provide to deliver a flexible and personalised learning experience.
Find out more in the Digital Learning Strategy background paper prepared by Associate Professor Shane Dawson.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College