Professor Peter Buckskin
Professor Peter Buckskin is the Dean of Aboriginal Engagement and Strategic Projects at the University of South Australia.
In 2012, he was appointed Convenor of the State's Advisory Committee on the recognition of Aboriginal people in the South Australian Constitution Act 1934.
For more than thirty years he has had the privilege of working in the rewarding area of Aboriginal Education in a number of exciting roles.
He is the Chair of the South Australian Aboriginal Education and Training Consultative Council (SAAETCC) and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Higher Education Consortium (NATSIHEC (AC)) Aboriginal Corporation. Professor Buckskin is an Executive Member of the World Indigenous Network of Higher Education Consortium (WINHEC).
In recognition of his contribution, Professor Buckskin received the Commonwealth Public Service Medal in the 2001 Australia Day Honours and was elected a Fellow of the Australian College of Educators (FACE) in 2007.
For further information, please visit Professor Buckskin’s homepage.
The Office of the Dean: Aboriginal Engagement and Strategic Projects
Established in 2016, the Office of the Dean is responsible for the provision of strategic leadership across the University of South Australia on Aboriginal matters.
The Office of the Dean undertakes a dual role in engaging across and external to the University of South Australia.
Key responsibilities are divided into two specific areas, including university-specific and the More Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Teachers Initiative (MATSITI).
From 2011 to 2016 the Office was known as the Office of the Dean: Indigenous Scholarship, Engagement and Research.
- Support the development of university-wide strategies on issues of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander teaching, education, participation and retention of Aboriginal students;
- Support strategy development/implementation to improve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, engagement, support and retention;
- Support the coordination of the University's Indigenous Education Statement;
- Develop and facilitate domestic, national and international strategic alliances whilst promoting the University of South Australia as a university of choice;
- Provide strategic leadership and advocacy on Aboriginal matters;
- Represent the University in the wider community;
- Ensure ongoing engagement with the Aboriginal community; and
- Represent the University at diverse national and international forums.
As the Dean: AESP, Professor Peter Buckskin is also:
- Member of the Indigenous Participation, Education, Employment Group
- Chair of the Indigenous Employment Working Group.