The world’s largest democracy has identified education as the most important lever for social, economic and political transformation – with great sporting and cultural links to India, UniSA is well placed to participate in this renewal. UniSA was one of the first Australian universities to engage and collaborate with some of India’s premier institutions. The University continues to develop long-term partnerships in India with a view to research collaborations, industry links, educational partnerships and student mobility, especially opportunities for Australian students to gain experience of India.
- India Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay – research collaboration in transport systems, civil and water engineering, cognitive Neuro-Engineering research.
- Waaree Energies Pty Ltd – research collaboration in renewable energy technologies.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) – research collaboration with our Division of Education, Arts and Social Sciences, through the International Centre for Muslim and Non-Muslim Understanding and Hawke Research Institute.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi – research collaboration with the Future Industries Institute, across engineering, chemical and materials sciences.
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) – research collaboration in nanotechnology including sensors for environmental monitoring and detection of soil contamination, led by UniSA’s Future Industries Institute. Professor Ravi Naidu, the Director of CERAR, was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from TNAU in 2013.
- Indian Institute of Science Bangalore - Australia-India Strategic Research Fund (AISRF) grant. Collaborative activities in the area of physical chemistry, surface engineering, and nanotribology. Active research collaboration with a number of staff at the Future Industries Research Institute.
Other links and partnerships
- UniSA delivers professional development short courses on Systems Engineering to staff and students at Defense Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) University
- UniSA Master of Business Administration (MBA) students will be able to go on exchange to India thanks to a reciprocal agreement with the Management Development Institute (MDI), India. UniSA has a long standing student exchange relationship with Madras Christian College for reciprocal Social Work student placements – with both inbound and outbound students often supported through the Australian Government’s Endeavour Student Exchange Scholarship scheme. Funding under the Australian Government’s Endeavour Asia Postgraduate program will support Physiotherapy and Secondary Teacher Education students to undertake projects in India.
- PSG Institute of Advanced Studies / PSG College of Technology – relationship includes joint conferences, student / staff inbound programs, and PSG hosted a UniSA led winter school on Systems Engineering in 2013. A joint Computational Neuro Science laboratory was opened in 2013. Discussions have taken place to develop a joint UG program in Mechatronics (Robotics) and establish a cross institutional institute in Water Sciences & Environmental Remediation between TNAU, UniSA and PSG/Anna University.
- UniSA’s Division of IT, Engineering and the Environment won Australian Government Student Mobility Funding in 2014 for two students to do a short term research lab project at the IBM Research Lab, New Delhi.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College